On this episode of The Van Wirdum Sjorsnado, Aaron and Sjors discuss one of the biggest releases in Bitcoin’s history: Bitcoin Core 0.21. Specifically, they dive into how this release will add support for Tor V3 addresses, an important development for preserving privacy, and explain what this means and why it matters. The pair also discuss how new Bitcoin nodes find existing Bitcoin nodes when they bootstrap to the network.
Listen to the audio version here:
- Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-van-wirdum-sjorsnado/id1532957243#episodeGuid=33ac1be5-ac65-45cf-a47d-8b3a65d8f6b4
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/6nLPIOciXW8M6KXZJcl922?si=5s3pobbTQNC1z89caH2EhQ
Helpful links for following along in the episode:
- Tor V3 (Onion) address support in Bitcoin Core: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pu…
- The ADDRv2 message added in BIP 155 that allows nodes to gossip those new Tor addresses: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/…
- DNS seeds and the bootstrap problem: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4…
Specific topics covered:
- How Tor works
- Benefits of running a Bitcoin node behind Tor
- Discussing how Bitcoin node gossip addresses
- Explaining how DNS works
- DNS is storing list of bitcoin nodes
Follow Aaron van Wirdum on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AaronvanW
Follow Sjors Provoost on Twitter: @provoost
For more compelling video content from Bitcoin’s original publication, subscribe and turn on notifications for the Bitcoin Magazine YouTube channel.
Connect with us on social media and join the conversation:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BitcoinMagazine
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/bitc…
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinMagazine
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/bitcoin
Subscribe to our newsletter and receive news and analysis before anyone else: https://bitcoinmagazine.com/subscribe
Bitcoin Magazine is the oldest and most established source of news, information and expert commentary on Bitcoin, its underlying blockchain technology and the industry that has grown up around it. Since 2012, Bitcoin Magazine has provided analysis, research, education and thought leadership at the intersection of finance and technology.